- At Blessed William Howard we believe that Mathematics is essential for everyday life and the understanding of the world. It is essential for Sciences, technology, computing and engineering, all of which are the future of our world. Mathematics is a beautiful subject, which combines the arts and the sciences. It provides students with powerful ways to describe, analyse, change and improve the world. Students can experience a sense of awe and wonder as they appreciate the power of mathematics and make links between different areas of mathematics and also the history of how Mathematics has developed.
We have a purpose built Maths Block that houses all the maths classrooms.
Homework will be set weekly on www.mymaths.co.uk
All pupils are expected to have a Scientific Calculator for every maths lesson.
Head of Department: Mr A James
Other teaching staff: Mr A Large, Mrs J Rees, Mrs A Rollo, Mr L Trout, Miss A Wood, Miss K Young
During Year 7 and Year 8 students
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
- The year 11 students will sit AQA, GCSE Mathematics.